I love pancakes. Whether it’s American pancakes or crêpes they are one of my favourite foods.
Today I found myself craving pancakes but I had no blueberries (I usually have blueberries in my pancakes) and no milk. Now milk is a rather essential part of a pancake recipe so I thought that I wouldn’t be able to make them. But then I found a can of coconut milk in the back of a cupboard. I know. Coconut milk in pancakes? It’s a little experimental but I thought I would try it.
I also found two bananas. Normally I don’t like bananas but since I was already experimenting with the coconut milk I may as well add the bananas to the mix.
I can safely say that those were the best pancakes I have ever had. They were just amazing!
- 135g of plain flour (I used self raising because I had no plain)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp of caster sugar (I used golden caster sugar)
- 1/2 tsp of salt (If you don’t like too much salt don’t add the salt)
- 1 large egg
- 130 ml of milk (I used coconut milk)
- Two bananas or 75g of blueberries (optional)
- A grater (if you are going to have bananas)
- A knob of butter
- Maple Syrup (to serve)
- 1 medium glass bowl (or any bowl around that size)
- 1 small glass bowl (or any bowl of a similar size)
- An electric whisk (recommended but a normal whisk can be used)
- A sieve
- A ladle type thing (to pour the mixture onto the frying pan)
- A frying pan
Step 1 : Lightly whisk together the egg and milk in the small bowl.
Step 2 : Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into the medium bowl.
Step 3 : Pour the contents of the small bowl into the medium bowl with the flour mixture.
Step 4 : Mix the mixture using the whisk until it is smooth.
Step 4a : If you are going to add banana, grate the bananas into the mixture and stir.
Step 4b : If you are going to add blueberries, wash the blueberries and gently stir them into the mixture.
Step 5 : Heat the frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter to stop the pancakes from sticking to the pan.
Step 6 : Get a ladle of batter and pour it onto the frying pan. If the frying pan is big enough add another pancake.
Step 7 :When the pancake starts to bubble on top, flip it. Then flip it and until both sides are golden brown.
Step 8 : Repeat until all the batter has been used up.
Step 9 : Serve with some maple syrup.